Friday, October 24, 2014

What and Why I Read


This is such an interesting question that I’ve never thought about before.  I’ve always just read.  I just love reading.  I read for enjoyment.  The only time I read for information is when I have a chapter to read in a text book for class.  Even when I read an article on the internet, it’s most likely something about a Real Housewife or Honey Boo Boo because that’s what’s entertaining to me (don’t you dare judge me). 

When I choose a book to read, I have a couple different criteria that I look for.  If a book is a movie that I want to see or have seen, I want to read it.  I love watching movies that are books because I can compare what I envisioned in my head to what Hollywood thought it should be.  I’m also a sucker for books that are series.  I hate when books come to an end.  I feel like the characters become my friends while I’m reading about them and I want to continue that friendship!  I can remember as a kid, my favorite books were “The Babysitter’s Club” and “Sweet Valley High” series.  I loved reading about all the characters I was familiar with and grown to love.  When I can’t find a book that’s part of a series or being turned into a movie, I absolutely judge a book by its cover.  Whether it is the title, the art, or the short blurb on the back of the book, if I like what I see, I buy it. 

I don’t know how to put it into words without just saying, I like to read.  I read because I like the escape into a world that isn’t my own.  I read as a form of entertainment.  I also like reading because I like to share books that I like with my friends.  Rather than having a specific book club, I have a couple friends who I trade books with when we’re done reading them.  We can talk about them when we’re all done, but we don’t read the same book at the same time. 

This wasn’t an easy blog to write.  I know why I read and what I read, but I’ve never had to put it into words.  Even if it’s just the nutritional facts on a package of food, I am always reading.  To me, reading is like breathing.  I have to do it.  I couldn’t imagine my life without words! 

3 comments:

  1. I think this post is very relatable because a lot of people like to read about things that they can relate to or read books that have been made into movies. For example, the recent success of movies and heightened book sales for titles such as The Hunger Games, Silver Lining's Playbook, Perks of Being A Wallflower, or Twilight can attest to the popularity of reading these types of literature. I never used to read the books before I saw the movies they were made into, however I did read Perks of Being A Wallflower before I saw the movie and it is one of my favorite books/movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey,

    I also found it hard to put into words why I read. When I have choice in what I can read, I read for enjoyment. Simple as that. I try my hardest to read books before they come out as movies. I like to create my own visions of the characters and the plot as I'm reading, rather than seeing Hollywood's representations of the characters and plot. I can tell you really love reading; you seem like one of those people who always has a book by their side. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey,
    I found your blog very interesting and easy to relate to . I liked that you added some humor into it..(talking about liking to read about housewives and Honey Boo Boo) Those examples I find myself reading about too. I guess its just society today! I also have to read a book before I watch the movie to it. I find it fascinating how much directors change from the book. I usually end up liking the book version rather than the movie. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete