I don't really know what to say about writing. I don't hate it, but I only write because I have to for school. I'm really not opposed to writing. I will admit that I would much prefer having to write an essay or a paper instead of taking a test, mostly because I can BS my way through writing. I am also the kind of person who loves the idea of a journal because I think it would be interesting to look back years from now and see what was going on in my life, how I felt about things, and ideas like that. What always seems to happen, though, is I buy a pretty little journal, write in it once or twice, and then forget about it. It comes to a point where it is more of a waste of money for me (Journals at Barnes and Noble aren't that cheap!).
As a future teacher, I believe that writing is a valuable skill to teach our students. I think that if we instill an appreciation of the written word in our class, they will be more interested in reading it. Understanding how to write will also allow our students the ability to critique the work of themselves as well as their peers. I find that all students expect that their teachers will provide them with a harsh critique, but hearing criticism from someone on their level could have more meaning.
I do understand that, like it or not, writing is an important skill that all people need to learn. Knowing how to write a proper email will help you look like a professional when in a workplace situation. Even when we send a text, knowing how to write so our message gets across to the other person is important (One of my biggest pet peeves are people who put no punctuation in their texts, so the message reads like one long sentence). Writing is something that we all do in everyday life, even if we don't realize it.
My biggest pet peeve in email is when people respond to an older message on a new subject.
ReplyDeleteThe subject line is there for a reason. If it is a new topic change it.