Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The FInal Book Club

We just had out final book club and this actually a 2-parter.  I say it was in 2 parts because I lost my phone on Friday night and did not get a new one until Monday night.  In the time without a phone, my group had an impromptu meeting via text that I could not participate in.  It was not until I got to class on Monday that I found out they had it.  I apologized (of course) and told them about my situation.  Luckily, one of the girls saved the text conversation they had and I got to read it and respond (thank goodness we got to class early that day!). 
 
I'm happy that I got to participate in some way because there were some things that some girls were confused about that we got to discuss in person.  There were also things about the book that some didn't like.  I thought that was so interesting because I loved the book so much.  Two girls pointed out that they thought that the end of the book went too fast, but thought that it showed that the events happening were moving so fast.  To me, I felt that the book moving so fast helped me feel like I was with the characters, like I was part of the story.  I have to admit, that was one of my favorite things about reading The Maze RunnerIt was interesting to hear someone not appreciate something I liked so much.  During the entire book club I really liked hearing everyone's predictions and questions.  I had plenty of my own, but it was good to hear what other people had to say.  It helped point out events that I might not have paid attention to, or given me a new perspective about things. 
 
I liked doing this book club.  I really enjoyed the book and I appreciated that each member of my group was into it and participating as well.  I would love to start a book club of my own, but with all the school work I have, reading for pleasure has definitely taken a back seat to reading text books.  I hope that once I become a teacher I'll be able to tear myself away from lesson plans in order to sit down and enjoy reading again.  Maybe then I'll get a book club of my own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment