Monday, October 13, 2014

The Pro's to Leveling Books


In doing research on leveling books, I have found many articles that argue both views.  The one that I prefer to side with, however, is that I am for leveling books.  Because I want to be a special education teaching working with primarily students with autism I can understand why giving a child a book that is on their level as opposed to a book that the entire class is reading would be helpful.  I recognize the amount of frustration a child feels when the work given to them is too difficult.  I have also seen a student’s face filled with disappointment when they do not grasp a concept, as well as the look of joy and pride when they do. 

In order to level a book, a teacher will listen to a student read a given piece of literature.  If the student makes 0-1 mistakes the book is too easy, 2-5 mistakes per 100 words, the piece is deemed “instructional”.  If the student makes 6 or more mistakes, this indicates that the book is in the frustration level for the student.  If a student reads a book that is in their frustration level, they would be offered a variety of books that are more in their instructional level instead.  I believe that by allowing a student to read a book at his or her instructional level will let them read independently and enjoy reading.  I think it will also allow the language of the student to grow and become more skillful.  In growing and becoming more skillful, the student will rise to a higher reading level.  If we lump all the students into one level, we will see frustration levels sky rocket.  I have seen students in classrooms who are not able to understand what they are reading.  Hell, I was one of those students.  I can remember reading H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine in 4th grade and feeling so lost when asked a comprehension question.     

I believe that leveling books will not only help the typical population of students, but will also help the special education population.  As I wrote earlier, I want to be a special education teacher working primarily with students with autism.  For the past 12 years, I have been a tutor to this population and have seen pride and disappointment my students have felt.  I have also seen great frustration when a skill is not mastered.  If students are allowed to read books on their level, opportunities for inclusion will increase.  Special education students will have a more meaningful experience in the general education classroom.  These students will be able to spend more time with their typical peers and feel more a part of the classroom. 

I understand the good ideas that come with the Common Core, but I do not believe that getting rid of leveled books is one of them.  The benefits of keeping this idea are too great.  Students will be able to progress at their own level, and learn to enjoy reading.  They will also be able to feel a sense of pride when they can work independently and thrive at it.  I believe that by continuing the level books, the special education population can participate more and be part of the general education classroom.      

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey!
    After reading your blog on leveled books, I have learned more about leveled reading. I like how in your blog you make personal connections with how you as a teacher would use leveled books in special education. It is nice to see a future teacher who cares for the students' well being and success not only relying on set standards. The one thing I suggest is that you site the website that you found your information, one so it is sited and two, so us as readers can read your research especially for the ones who want more information. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong argument and good use of evidence. I am glad you walked your audience to the conclusion of using leveled books only in special education settings and not in everyday classrooms.

    How do you feel about it though in the K-2 setting where reading levels are so vastly different?

    ReplyDelete