Tuesday, November 18, 2014

This Assignment Is Finally Over!


Writing my narrative essay was really fun, but ended up being really difficult.  I really loved my topic and was excited to be writing.  It was what went along in trying to write a children’s book that was so difficult. 

I really enjoyed the peer review when writing this assignment.  There was a lot of information that I wanted to include in this essay, so I found myself missing some key ideas that my peers pointed out to me.  It also helped to hear what was confusing to them, so I could reword it to make better sense.  I even had some friends not in our class read my essay and help me revise it.

What I found most difficult about writing this piece (that’s to say after the difficulty I had even choosing a topic) was “dumbing it down” so that it was at a lower grade level.  First of all, I didn’t realize that you can check the grade level of your writing in Microsoft.  Second, I had no idea that writing what I thought were simple sentences would come out to be at an 8.8 grade level!  It took more time trying to get my writing to a lower grade level than it did to write the piece to begin with!  With that being said, my essay is completely different than what I started with.  The only similarity is that it’s still about a boy with autism.

With all that being said, I did really enjoy the narrative writing assignment.  It was a lot of fun to do and I really liked being able to share it with people.  Who knows, maybe I can send it to a publisher…probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment