I really didn’t have a fictional
character that I looked up to as a child.
I have to admit that until 8th grade, I really didn’t do much
reading for pleasure. And the books I
read in 8th grade were mostly Stephen King or V.C. Andrews novels,
and for those of who aren’t familiar with that work there are no good heroes in
those stories.
A book that sticks out in my mind
that I enjoyed as a child was Bridge to Terabithia. I remember liking these 2 books as a kid, but
not because I found any of the characters heroic. I was drawn to books about make believe
places. My brother and I often played
games where we would imagine ourselves in faraway lands that didn’t exist in
reality. Reading about them helped my
imagination grow.
I guess because I liked reading
about magical make believe lands, you can say that those places were my
heroes. I loved that in Bridge to
Terabithia Jesse and Leslie created Terabithia, a magical forest kingdom
that they could escape to. Terabithia
grew to be my favorite character in the story, and was a hero to me because it
was a place to hide from reality. I was
jealous of Jesse and Leslie for having a Terabithia.
Now I can say that I like strong
female characters. I would love to be
Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games or Tris from Divergent. I think the give girls growing up now someone
to look up to and aspire to be. These
girls broke the mold of a hero being a man and show that girls can kick some
ass too! How can they not be my
heroes?!?!
I think it is interesting how a place can be your hero! I never really thought of a hero to be a place. I too have been one to marvel of the places of books, the beautiful creation they hold, and how they do let the imagination run wild! As far as the strong female characters, I do like how books are breaking the mold of the masculine heroes and showing that women can be considered strong and heroic as well. I am a fan of The Hunger Games and Divergent and I agree, who wouldn't want to view them as fictional heroes?
ReplyDelete