Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Narrative Essays


Holy crap writing a narrative essay is tough!  First of all, coming up with a topic was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do.  There are so many things to write about that picking just one is difficult.  Because I could think of a topic, I tried to choose a genre.  Yup, that was harder.

Needless to say, I finally decided on a topic, and (with the help of Dr. McVerry) chose to do a piece of realistic fiction.  I realized that I wanted to write a piece of work that could be used to introduce students with autism to a young class.  I wanted it to involve picture, so I was torn between realistic fiction and a picture book.  I wanted realistic fiction because I wanted my story to be realistic, but made up.  And I thought about a picture book because I think that kids are drawn to illustrations and they help them understand a story.  Little did I know that picture books are more picture than text, so that made my decision a little easier.

I really enjoyed writing my first draft.  It was fun to reminisce about the time I spent working with students with autism.  I liked being able to tell a story about how these students are just like everyone else and should be treated that way.  It is a topic that is very close to my heart having had been involved with this population for the past 12 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment