In eighth grade, I found my love of reading. It wasn’t in my Language Arts class, but in
my Reading class. My teacher had the most amazing library and
allowed us to borrow her books. I was introduced
to Bram Stoker’s Dracula, all the books by Stephen King that she had,
and then I found my Holy Grail of books; Flowers In the Attic by V.C.
Andrews. This was the first time I was
reading adult topics. I had grown up
with “The Babysitter’s Club” and “Sweet Valley High” series. V.C. Andrew’s was borderline pornography to a
13 year old! I tore through her
collection of the books about the Dollanger family, and moved on through each
series that my teacher had. I was
reading a book a week, impressing my parents enough that they continued to buy
me the books my teacher didn’t have, not knowing they were feeding my thirst
for smut. It’s funny that writing this
blog now, I realize how I have come full circle. At 13, I loved the smutty romance novels, but
now I would not touch the stuff. I believe
that my hands would curl up in the Wicked Witch of the East fashion if I ever
touched a copy of 50 Shades of Grey.
Now my preference has reverted back to teenage novels, like “The Hunger
Games” and “The Heroes of Olympus” series.
I am also a sucker for books turned movies. I know the movie will always be worse, but it’s
fun for me to compare the movie version to the version I created in my
head while reading. With all that being said, no, I
have never read Twilight. I
believe touching it would have the Wicked Witch effect on me as well.
My memory of writing in Language Arts was
actually a crushing one. I was in seventh grade, and I loved Language
Arts class. My teacher was funny and knew how to hold my attention.
I was so inspired by him that I wrote a short story that I wanted to try to get
published in Highlights Magazine. I gave it to both my parents to read,
and my mother suggested I give it to my Language Arts teacher to
proofread. I remember bringing my story to school that day (no, I don't
remember what the story was about. I think I blocked it out), and asking
my teacher if I could meet with him instead of going to recess (I was that confident
that I didn't even care about missing recess).
I walked into his room and already had a feeling that this wasn’t going
to go well. He had forgotten why I
wanted to see him, snatched my beautiful paper from my hand, and read it in
what felt like 2 seconds. When he
finished, he handed it back to me and said, “I wouldn’t publish this. It’s not good.” Wait, what?
At home I was used to being told that my work wasn’t good when it wasn’t
good, so it wasn’t that. It was the fact
that I was dismissed so quickly without being helped in any sort of way. Aren’t teachers supposed to help you get
better? Looking back now, I was invading
his sacred prep time, and for all I know, he could’ve been having a bad
day. Whatever his problem was, it was
the factor that stopped me from writing for fun, and made me despise him and
Language Arts.
It was not until my senior year in high school
that I rekindled my love for writing.
Again, this is not a memory from a Language Arts class, but from a
Creative Writing one instead. I took
Creative Writing as an elective for a couple reasons; I loved the teacher, I
wanted to decorate a giant art pad, and I thought it was be fun to keep it as a
memory. We were expected to do 2 specific
assignments and 1 free choice assignment per week. Each assignment I found myself falling deeper
in love with writing, and I actually found my niche. I was the sarcastic writer that wrote exactly
the way I spoke, no matter what anyone would think about it. My favorite assignment was to write an
obituary about ourselves or someone else.
I opted to write mine about Winnie the Pooh because I really cannot
stand him! After I handed it in to be
graded, my teacher ripped it out of my book and hung it in the office of my
school for all to read. I had finally
had my redemption from seventh grade and got published in a way. As a matter of fact, when I graduated, my
mother had that assignment framed and I now have it hanging in my house.
I believe that, good or bad, we are a mutation of all the teachers we have had over the years. We take what we have learned, how we have been taught, and how we have been treated to become the teachers that we will eventually be. These 3 situations really helped me become the person I am today, and have influenced what kind of teacher I want to be.
Great post. Reflective practice takes this level of honesty.
ReplyDeleteI can see you enjoy writing. You describe the events in wonderful detail. We do need to break you of that five paragraph mode (mainly the introduction).
You were not in the wrong when sharing the story with your teacher. He should have recognized your passion.
I honestly don't pay attention to writing in 5 paragraphs. I think that kind of writing is embedded in my subconscious and it comes out every so often. Going to school in the 80's trained me that way! I'll try to work on that!
ReplyDelete