Monday, September 22, 2014

Supporting Literacy


Supporting literacy in the classroom is a very important idea.  So many children are not interested in reading or writing enough to know how to enjoy it.  I, myself, was one of those kids that moaned at reading time because I hated the thought of being forced to read something that did not hold my interest.  I know in elementary school my reading comprehension was horrible because I did not care enough about what I was reading to pay attention.  In observing various classrooms I have seen many students still moan like me at the mention of reading time.  I also know that writing is not something that is nurtured in schools.  Mandatory writing prompts are forced on children even if they have no interest in what they are expected to write about.  Instead of making literacy fun or even functional, many classrooms are given mindless worksheet after worksheet.  These are all things I would like to change in my classroom.

            In order to make reading a point of interest a teacher must allow their students the ability to choose what interests them.  There is one classroom that I have worked in that had an incredible library.  The teacher collected books from all genres and on different levels.  Although the students were only allowed to borrow one book at a time, they were allowed to take them home in order to read them for their required 20 minutes of reading each night for homework.  Almost every student in that class tore through books as fast as I do as an adult.  What I think attributes to this teacher’s amazing library was the fact that she herself enjoys reading.  Like I plan to do, she understands the value of instilling that same pleasure in her students and supports reading in her classroom.  I believe that students are more likely to read what they have to, like textbooks, if they are also given a chance to also read what they enjoy.

            When it comes to writing, students today are given writing prompts to prepare them for standardized testing.  Although these prompts are a necessary evil, writing can still be made fun.  In order to support this idea, having students write about ideas that interest them, such as themselves, can show them how it is true.  Teach students effective writing strategies through writing about interesting topics.  I can remember the only writing I did as a child in school was book or research reports.  None of these things were of interest to me.  It was not until I was asked to write about a specific situation that happened to me did I find writing fun.  I looked forward to brainstorming ideas, writing a rough draft, sharing it with my peers, and then finalizing it in my last draft.  My teacher supported literacy by teaching us the writing process without even telling us directly that she was doing it.  All we knew was that we were having fun.      

            Another way we can support literacy in the classroom is to take away the boring worksheets and make learning fun.  Incorporate environmental text, play literacy games, and other ideas would help.  Environmental text makes learning literacy functional for students.  They can identify what they see in their everyday lives and compare it with what they see in the classroom.  Environmental print can also build confidence in young children and get them excited about reading.  When children are excited about reading and print holds meaning for them they will learn much faster and begin to make connections to the world around them.  Literacy games make learning fun as well.  Whether it is on the computer or a competition with the whole class, it is something that all students can enjoy.

            Supporting literacy is something that is extremely important in all classrooms.  In order to have a literate society it is crucial to start literacy at a young age.  Using age-appropriate and functional text with interesting topics and concepts, teachers can hold students’ attention in order to teach them.  Breaking away from the idea of teaching to test and, instead, using what interests students will still get the point across.         

1 comment:

  1. You bring up an important point about the role motivation plays in reading comprehension. Beyond decoding and and background knowledge motivation is the next biggest predictor of comprehension.

    Your ideas of moving beyond worksheets to engage students in authentic learning is great.

    ReplyDelete